Monday 19 March 2018

Looking Forward to the past - 1940s weekend

The launch of the military train this weekend has got me thinking about the 1940s weekend on 15 and 16 September.
This is lining up to be a great event. The organiser, Robin Wichard, is making great progress and many exciting events are anticipated. The Spitfire, of course, 1940s dancing on Minehead Station, RAF displays, the Military train loaded with WW2 Vehicles and troops to run from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard, Military and civilian vehicles and displays at Minehead, Watchet and Washford. Land Army, civilian life and home front displays at both Watchet Station and Watchet Town. Uniformed British & American troops who were both stationed in the area during the war.
There are some rumours that Winston Churchill and the King and Queen may put in an appearance.
I understand that there could be allotments at stations and lets hope we see lots of parcel tape on windows and plenty of sandbags. ID papers for the public and military guard posts at stations???

To get fully into the spirit of things, I have decided to turn myself out as an army colonel for the weekend. A rank, I think, that befits the chairman! Robin has suggested that if I am properly turned out I can accompany the royal party. So I have been researching uniform hire and come across this which looks very promising.

http://www.costumehiredirect.co.uk/mens/1940s/british-army/1940s-british-army-colonel.html

So now I am looking at the all the supporting stuff. Do I need a lieutenant to accompany me? Where do I get a general service watch and should I find some 1940s maps to stuff in my pocket....and what about carrying the right money, notes and coins! I spent last evening browsing the 'soldier of fortune' website and am amazed at what you can buy. I am totally new to all this re-enacting stuff so any advice would be great to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment